breakwaters at the entrance to Port Jefferson Harbor.
Two minor aids to navigation, one each
on the east and west breakwaters at the entrance to Port Jefferson Harbor.
1838: A report on aids to
navigation in the US, known popularly as Document No. 24, mentioned "a buoy
on the extremity of the bare spit, at the mouth of the harbor of Drowned
Meadows" (as Port Jeff was called in those days) and added a note that "[t]his
harbor could, at a small expense, be made one of the very best on
Long-island sound. It is at a point where a good harbor is much needed."
Despite this notice of the area's importance, the buoy and Old Field light,
two miles away, were the only aids to help mariners in and out of the
1894: Congress approved funds for a
pair of lights at the entrance to the harbor - one on the east breakwater
and a smaller one on the west breakwater.
The lights were constructed.
1905: The East Breakwater light was
rebuilt, perhaps due to storm damage, but it could have been from other
1908: The Light List describes the
lights as such: Port Jefferson East Breakwater: Fixed white light shown from
a lens lantern 28 feet above mean high water. It was a "white post with
shelf for lantern, adjacent to white, square, fog bell house, on rough stone
foundation." The fog signal was a "bell struck by machinery a double blow
every 30 sec." Port Jefferson West Breakwater: Fixed red light shown from a
post lantern 30 feet above mean high water. It was a "pyramidal concrete
pier supporting a red post with bracket at top, from which lantern is
1919, September 7: According to the
Lighthouse Service Bulletin, "H. Burke, keeper, Port Jefferson Light
Station, N.Y., rescued a man and woman from drowning when their canoe
capsized in endeavoring to reach the inside of the harbor in the vicinity of
the light station."
1950: The US Coast Pilot describes the
lights as such: "Port Jefferson East Breakwater Light, 60 feet above water,
is shown from a black square skeleton tower, white central column, white
tank house, white watch house alongside, on the east breakwater. The fog
signal is a bell. Port Jefferson West Breakwater Light, 29 feet above water,
is shown from a red skeleton tower, white tank house, red base, on the end
of the west breakwater."
2002: Two small skeleton towers help mariners in the area.
use: Active aids to navigation.
access? Can be seen from ferry, private boat or from land.
Lights: There are many small, skeletal towers.
information: These lights appear to have
been rebuilt several times over the years.