|
|
The six-panel flashing 4th order Fresnel lens on
display at the East End Seaport Maritime Museum was built by Barbier & Benard outside
Paris in 1897. It cast its light from the lantern room at the Plum Island lighthouse until
1978, when the lighthouse was decommissioned. The lens remained in the lantern room until
1994, when it was loaned to the museum for public display. This lens also includes an
operating windup clockworks mechanism.
|
| The East End Seaport also has a Second
Order lens on display. Be sure to visit these two lenses in person. For more information,
visit www.eastendseaport.org or call the
museum at 631-477-2100. Return to the Lens and Lamp Research Page. |
|
Copyright © 2001 Long Island Chapter, USLHS |